Warsaw, 9 March 1949. Judge Halina Wereńko, a member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the obligation to speak the truth, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Marianna Prokopczyk, née Brzezińska
Date and place of birth 6 April 1906 in Ogrodno, Grójec county
Parents’ names Józef and Wiktoria, née Jaworek
Father’s occupation laborer
Citizenship and nationality Polish
Religion Roman Catholic
Education elementary school
Occupation housewife
Place of residence Warsaw, Marszałkowska Street 1, flat 46
Criminal record none

When the Warsaw Uprising broke out, I was in my house at Belgijska Street 11 in Warsaw. On 1, 2 and 3 August 1944 there were insurgents in our house and around the neighborhood. The nearest German forces were in the Wedel houses at Puławska Street 26 and 28, at Dworkowa Street, at aleja Na Skarpie, and in the school at Grottgera Street. The insurgents passed through our area, from time to time shooting in the direction of the German positions.

On 3 August, between 4.00 p.m. and 5.00 p.m., a detachment of gendarmes from Dworkowa Street, riding on a tank and assisted by “Ukrainians”, advancing from the direction of Szuster’s Garden, drove into Belgijska Street through the property at Belgijska Street 4. I heard that they first burst into the properties at nos. 5 and 7 Belgijska Street, where they murdered a few people, among others – at no. 5 – Tajchert and his wife, and also Bąkowa. These murders were witnessed by Badalska (residing at Belgijska Street 7). Next, the detachment burst into the house at no. 9 Belgijska Street, where they murdered the female caretaker and her two children. Finally, they came up to our house, shouting for the people to come out from the basement. I was in the basement at the time and, hearing the shots, delayed leaving. Our house was large, with some 200 residents. The majority left. After more or less an hour, I also left, accompanied by my two children. While exiting the basement, near the staircase, I was drenched in blood flowing from the stairs. The bodies of two of our residents were lying on the stairs. I saw one body in the gateway and around five – men, women and children from our house – in the courtyard. In the gateway I met Frankowska, who told me that the Germans had left. I then took shelter with my children in the garden. During this time I heard shots and shouts coming from the house at Puławska Street 71, from Magiera’s house, and from the houses at Puławska Street 69, 73 and 75.

While I was still in the basement, and the civilians were exiting, Tadeusz Góralczyk (currently residing at Belgijska Street 11, flat 27) returned to the basement from the gateway. Góralczyk had previously worked as a metalsmith, and then as a blue policeman at the gendarmerie station in Dworkowa Street; he was recognized by the gendarmes and taken by them together with his family. I learned then from Góralczyk that gendarmes from Dworkowa Street had come to our house.

I later heard that the Germans had perpetrated a massacre on the even-numbered side of Belgijska Street, at number 16.

Insurgents arrived in our area during the night from 4 to 5 August, and stayed there until 27 September. On 6 August we used their help to bury the bodies of those murdered in our courtyard. We made a count and determined that 23 people had been murdered (with women forming the majority), including a 4-year old child. On the day of the capitulation of Mokotów, 27 September 1944, some of the insurgents withdrew through the sewers, using the manhole at the corner of Belgijska and Puławska streets, while others removed their armbands and – together with the civilians from our house and the whole of Belgijska Street – were led away to Służew, from where we taken in groups to Pruszków.

At this point the report was brought to a close and read out.