Warsaw, 20 September 1947. A member of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Warsaw, Acting Judge Halina Wereńko, heard the person named below as an unsworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations and of the obligation to tell the truth, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Jerzy Pietrzyk, former prisoner no. 1,761 of the concentration camp in Auschwitz
Parents’ names Walenty and Ludwika, née Jaworska
Date of birth 11 March 1913, in Warsaw
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Place of residence Warsaw, Grochów, Szaserów Street 105, flat 5
Education junior high school and 2 years at TKT [Technical Courses Society]
Occupation automobile and aviation technician
Citizenship and nationality Polish

From 10 August 1940 until 17 January 1945, I was a prisoner at the concentration camp in Auschwitz. Until the end of 1942, I was in Auschwitz, later – in Birkenau.

In the photograph shown to me (the witness was shown a photograph captioned “Weber, Joles Paul Rich,” sent by the current president of the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Kraków), I recognize Weber, one of the deputies of Werner Handler, who managed the kitchen for the entire camp in Birkenau. I came across Weber when he came to the camp in Birkenau as one of the deputies of the kitchen manager. Since 1943, I was employed as a cook in the kitchen in Birkenau. That’s how I worked for Weber.

In March 1943, I was moved to the Gypsy camp in Birkenau and employed at the kitchen warehouse, where I worked until November 1944, then I became an Unterküchschreiber at the Gypsy camp.

Weber was the deputy of the kitchen manager at the men’s camp in Birkenau until March 1943, then he was moved to the same post at the Gypsy camp, where he remained until the end of that camp’s existence. Weber was very nervous, he would fly into a frenzy over a triviality and beat the prisoners unconscious. I often saw him beat the Gypsies with a stick or some other hard tool. Carrying soup to the women’s camp in Birkenau, I also often saw Weber beat the female prisoners in the kitchen of the women’s camp. They’d come to the kitchen to get some water or for some other reason.

Weber was milder toward the prisoners employed in the kitchen, but when a prisoner who wasn’t one of the permanent employees came to the kitchen, they would always come out beaten by Weber.

In October 1943, Weber reported to Handler, who was the kitchen manager for the entire camp in Birkenau, that I was helping other prisoners.

If it hadn’t been for the help of another German, whose name I don’t remember, I would have been placed in the SK [Strafkompanie].

I could give exhaustive testimony regarding the activities of Werner Handler, Birkenau’s kitchen manager Hauptscharführer.

At this the report was concluded and read out.