Warsaw, 10 January 1946. Judge Halina Wereńko, delegated to the Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes, interviewed the person named below as a witness. Having advised the witness of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the judge swore the witness in accordance with Art. 109 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.

The witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Anna Janina Wielowiejska
Age born in 1906
Names of parents Władysław and Anna
Occupation certified nurse
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal record none

On 23 December 1943 and 13 January 1944, I watched two executions of Poles conducted by the Germans on Górczewska Street, opposite number 19, that is the Wolski Hospital. In 1939, there had been a lace factory there, which was bombed, and in 1943 it was a tomato field.

At that time, I worked at the Wolski Hospital and watched the executions through the window.

On 23 December 1943, at 7:30 a.m., around 200 gendarmes arrived in cars, they blocked Górczewska and Płocka streets, machine guns were placed in the windows of the hospital, street traffic was halted. Then a Gestapo firing squad arrived in two cars and, at 8:30 a.m., the convicts came in one car guarded by four or five cars and motorcycles. I was counting, and it appeared by my reckoning that there were 18 of them; the notices had said there would be 20.

No surnames had been given in the notice.

I did not recognize anyone from among the convicted group because I was looking from a distance of some 150-200 meters. The convicts were in underwear, in twos, tied with, I suppose, wire, because later, pieces of wire were lying in that place.

They had paper bags on their heads, which rested on their shoulders. In this way, they could only see one step in front and walked straight ahead. Their mouths were probably gagged, because they were very quiet, but the faces, as I said, were not visible. When the car with the convicts arrived, the firing squad arranged itself in two rows facing the lace factory, side-face to our hospital. The squad consisted of, as I counted, 25 people. The convicts were placed in different ways – in fours, fives, sixes. Some walked straight, others walked and staggered, and the SS-men kicked and dragged them.

After the execution of the first four, the officer giving orders walked over, kicked those on the ground with his boot to check if they were still alive and killed them with a shot in the head. After the execution of the next four, five or six, the same thing was repeated.

After all of the convicts had been executed, men in prison clothes arrived – Jews from the camp on Gęsia Street, as people said. They put the corpses in the car in which the convicts had arrived, covered the ground with sand and sawdust they had brought, and then dug the ground with spades so that there would be no traces of blood.

On 13 January 1944, at 11:00 a.m., the area was blocked by gendarmerie, and then at 2:00 p.m. there was an execution. I counted 16 people, whereas the notices stated that 20 people had been executed, but they didn’t give the place.

The execution happened as I described before. In the same way the firing squad arrived, armed, with helmets, numbering around 25 people, the convicts were in their underwear, barefoot, with paper bags on their heads. One could not hear a single shout. They were executed in fours or fives. The execution lasted half an hour and was conducted in four parts.

I didn’t recognize any friends, it was impossible. As in the previous execution, the corpses were taken away by men in prison clothing. After both executions, the local population spontaneously honored the site of the carnage, bringing flowers and candles, and after an hour, gendarmes came in a car and captured those at the site of the execution.