On 20 March 1948, Judge Jerzy Majewski from the District Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Wrocław interviewed the person specified below as a sworn witness. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the interviewee testified as follows:

Name and surname Józef Górski

Date and place of birth 27 May 1911, in Warsaw
Names of parents Józef and Wiktoria née Kokosińska
Place of residence Wrocław, Henryka Pobożnego Street 4
Occupation stoker in a boiler room
Nationality Polish
Record a) criminal – none, b) political – none

Regarding the case: During the Warsaw Uprising I lived at Grójecka Street 20b. On Friday, on 4 August 1944, seven uniformed and armed Germans stormed into the house where I lived and ordered all residents to come down into the yard. There we were divided. The men were placed on the left side, and the women with children on the right side. Women were told to go onto the street, one of the Germans, who commanded those seven told us: “You Polish pigs, bandits, you’re sentenced to death” and ordered us to walk in fives into a public shelter, which was located in that house. The execution happened in such a way that one of “Vlasovtsy” in a German uniform shot each of the walking men in the back of the head, in the neck, while another one loaded his machine gun. The Germans who had stormed into the house just kept order, and the “Vlasovtsy” conducted the execution.

I know this, because those soldiers spoke in Ukrainian.

Around 160 residents of the house at Grójecka Street 20b were executed at that time. There were 12-, 13-year-old boys among those killed. I got wounded in the back of the head, the bullet came out in the side next to the ear. The “Ukrainians”, after shooting 160 men and boys, “sawed” at the corpses with a machine gun and threw a grenade.

I saved myself in this way: at the moment when I was wounded and fell, I was behind a barrel in the angle of the corridor, moreover I was covered by the body of a dead man. I moved even further over the lying corpses and crawled to the shelter, where I lay on a bench and covered myself with a duvet.

From among the executed, apart from myself the following survived: Hoffman, who was wounded, the bullet - coming out - tore away a piece of his jaw, and Bronisław Kowalski - he got wounded in the leg, pretended to be dead. Kowalski, being lightly wounded, was trying to persuade me to go outside with Hoffman from the shelter. I was heavily wounded, didn’t have the strength and the will to escape, because I knew that the whole district was under siege. Kowalski went outside alone and probably died. Hoffman and I left the shelter after 5 days and hid in the attic. We had enough food, because the whole house was empty and people had supplies. After six weeks, we left the house at Grójecka Street 20b and at night we wanted to get out of the city. We noticed a German patrol on the way, I ran to one side and Hoffman to the other. I went in the direction of Przemyska Street, where my parents lived at number 16. The house had been set on fire and I didn’t meet anyone, so I went in the direction of Szczęśliwice. There I came across a line of the German army. They started shooting in my direction, so I went back to Przemyska Street. Hiding in the rubble and burned houses I came across two Jews and hid with them until 28 December 1944.

On that day, fleeing from Przemyska Street, where the Germans had found our hideout, I came across people being driven to dig trenches in Warsaw, and together with the Jew who had stayed alive, I blended into that group of people.

I have to explain that another citizen of Jewish nationality, with whom I had hid, died as a result of paralysis. The other Jew was called Joalu Włodawer (residing in Warsaw, Poznańska Street 14). Together with those people I got out with Włodawer to Piastów, where we hid for five days in a nursing house. Later I became ill and went to the hospital located in the buildings of the “Tudor” factory. On 17 January, I signed out and returned to Warsaw. I met with Włodawer after a few days.

I additionally have to explain that, apart from three [of us], all the men from the house at Grójecka Street 20b were executed. I remember the surnames: Hilary Lublański, Kosz, the caretaker - I don’t remember the surname.