Warsaw, 11 July 1949. A Member of the Main Commission for the Investigation of German Crimes in Poland, magister [MA] Norbert Szuman, heard as a witness the person specified below; the witness did not swear an oath. Having been advised of the criminal liability for making false declarations, the witness testified as follows:

Name and surname Władysław Grzelak
Date and place of birth 24 February 1906, Osnaków, Błonie county
Names of parents Antoni and Aniela [née Soforińska?]
Occupation of the father laborer
State affiliation and nationality Polish
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Education elementary school
Occupation sentry
Place of residence Warsaw, Mickiewicza Street 37, flat 26
Criminal record none

For about six weeks during the Warsaw Uprising I stayed on the premises of the flooring and veneer factory at Elbląska Street 13, where I had a company apartment. The insurgent action in that area ended in the evening of 1 August. During the first period of the uprising it was impossible to walk on the streets, as the Germans were shooting from shelters at all people who dared to leave their flats. Only some time later, when, on an order which I had not heard, the civilians placed white banners on their houses, women could go with their hands up to buy some bread in the bakery. Approximately the same time, three German soldiers arrived at the factory premises, they came from the troops stationed in the Go/No Go gauge factory on Duchnicka Street who were occupied with dismantling and sending away the factory equipment. They were brought to our factory upon the request of the manager, Peter, to maintain order in the factory, but also because the manager was concerned by the fact that houses were being set on fire. Arson had begun in the area of Włościańska Street, then in Powązki, and had been perpetrated by the Germans after having first forced the inhabitants out, and finally on Elbląska Street, where these acts were perpetrated by people who were wearing German Gendarmerie uniforms and speaking Russian under the command of the Germans. Another foreign-speaking unit under German command consisted of “Ukrainians” and Cossacks, who, after a few weeks of the uprising, came to the premises of the Sanitary Depot. They committed many acts of robbery and rape against the local people. One night I saw for myself how they stormed into the house at Elbląska Street 7 and attempted to rape, among others, a few girls 13–14 years of age, who fortunately managed to flee to the premises of our factory. If I remember correctly, the number of that unit was higher than 300. In the meantime, the Germans removed most of the factory machinery, causing a lot of damage to it.

Sometime around the middle of September, I don’t remember the exact date, all the people who were on the factory premises were loaded onto cars and taken to the freight railway station, from which we were deported to Germany.

At this the report was closed and read out.