Warsaw, 15 January 1946. Investigative Judge Halina Wereńko, assigned to sit on the Committee for the Investigation of Nazi Crimes, Warsaw City, interviewed the person named below as a witness. After advising the witness of the legal liability for making false statements and of the significance of the oath, the judge swore the witness. The witness gave the following testimony:

Name and Surname Piotr Dolny
Age 49 years old
Parents’ Names Szczepan and Katarzyna
Place of Residence Włochy, Promienista Street Flat 1
Occupation before the war, payment collector, now unemployed
Profession Elementary school
Religious affiliation Roman Catholic
Criminal Record None

In 1936 I began to live, with my family, at Młynarska 14. From the outbreak of the uprising my house, situated in the battle zone, came under heavy fire. On the night of 5 to 6 August 1944 the insurgents withdrew from Młynarska Street. On 6 August 1944 at 6 a.m. a detachment of SS men armed with grenades and sub-machine guns arrived at my house. They scattered around, ordering the residents to come out. I went out into the street with my wife and children. On Młynarska Street SS men, armed with submachine guns, were standing in a double row that extended to the vacant lots at numbers 14 and 17. The wooden houses which had once stood on these lots had burnt down, but there was no rubble left.

We went through the double row of SS men to Młynarska Street 15, where one of the SS men stopped me and the other residents of our house. My wife later told me that she, our children, and other women were escorted further to Górczewska Street 10, where the transit camp had been established. As people walked across the lot at number 15, SS men stopped me and 17 other men. Among these were: Wacław Sobczak, Domański (I cannot remember his name), Trojanowski (I don’t know his name). I cannot remember the names of the other men whom the Germans stopped.

(Now the witness, accompanied by the judge, drew up a diagramatic sketch which is annexed to this interview report).

Going back to my testimony, I wish to report that the SS men lined these 17 men up in front of the wall marked with a C. We were ordered to raise our hands. Then one of the Germans, a young man about 30 years of age, walked along the row of the men standing with their hands raised and shot each of them in the back of the head. I stood the second-to-last in the row: I fell on the spot marked in the sketch with an A. Unconscious for about six hours, I came round at about 11 a.m. and stood up. The SS men were gone and I found myself surrounded by men’s dead bodies lying next to each other all over the lots at numbers 15 and 17, roughly one hundred in number.

I don’t know if anyone else survived the execution because I ran away from Młynarksa Street soon after I regained consciousness, scared that SS men, whose voices I heard from afar, might return to finish me off.

I reached the Wola hospital where I was operated on by Dr. Woźniewski, who took out the bullet.

(the witness presented the medical certificate dated 11 December 1944 and issued by the doctor. The document states that the operation consisted in sewing up the soft parts of the lower lip and removing the loose bone chips. The bullet trajectory: the bullet entered in the area of the upper cervical vertebrae, went through the jaw bone and exited through the left corner of the mouth. The witness showed a scar on his neck. There is a dent and scar from the bullet wound near the upper cervical vertebrae. He also showed distorted jaws, another result of the gunshot wound, and his left arm that remains stiff and the fingers in his left hand that do not bend.)

The report was read out.

(A diagramatic sketch drawn up in accordance with the instruction given by Piotr Dolny during his interview on 15 January 1946 is annexed to this interview report).